Friday 17 May 2013

Any fruit cake & Abby swimming

Today is my BF birthday, so of course it was time to bake another cake! Never ever would I buy a cake. Home made ones taste much better AND they also have soul and spread the love.
You never baked? Not to worry, this one is really easy and tastes light, moist and fluffy....go for it...I am sure you will love it!

My cake of choice is the "Any fruit" cake. Why "Any fruit"?
Because you can throw in what ever you have left or fancy.

Was planning to do a rhubarb cake, but when I went grocery shopping I saw lovely fresh blueberries. The solution was to do a half and half cake.

The first step is to preheat your (fan) oven to 160 Degrees.
Next mix together 150g unsalted butter, 120g caster sugar and three eggs. Beat it for quite a while until the whole mixture becomes nearly white and fluffy.
The final step is to mix in 150g plain flour and 1 tsp baking powder. If you like you can add a teaspoon of vanilla essence. Of course it also works with some Rum or good old Whiskey.
Don't mix it too long.
That's it! Easy, isn't it?

It should look like this now:

Grease a tin of your choice and fill in the dough (I used a round silicon baking tin)
Now put your fruit on top and press them very lightly into your dough. If you like your cake extra-sweet (like my BF) sprinkle some brown sugar on top.
Another variation is to make some caramel by melting sugar in a pan and putting the fruit into the caramel before joining them with the dough. BUT be VERY careful! Caramel gets extremely hot and the last time I did that I ended up with a really bad burn.

Anyways, put all fruit on top of your cake and it will look like this:
Pop it into the pre-heated oven and bake for about 20 minutes.

And here it is, my BF-birthday-rhubarb-and-blueberry-cake:


I kept the decoration simple by just sifting icing sugar on top, but it would also be nice to melt some white chocolate and decorate the cake with it.
Let's have another look at the cake:


One more? Maybe a little closer? Ok, here we go:



BF also get's a present. This year it is tickets to Robbie Williams in June. YES, he does actually like Robbie Williams and already went to concerts of him. (Yeah, I do like him too so I really don't mind to be his date on that night)

All the work done it was time to bring little Miss Abby for her walk. Today is really an absolute gorgeous day. It's 20 degrees and it was the first day were I left the house with just a T-Shirt. This means a lot because usually I am too cold in Ireland. 

We went to the canal so that she can have a swim. She just can't get enough of jumping into the water after a stick and bringing it back to me. 




Right, now it's time to get dolled up, because I am taking the BF to a spanish tapas restaurant.
Have a great evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment