Sunday 9 June 2013

Low Carb Cauliflower Pizza

One of the blogs I follow is the blog of gorgeous Carrie. She posts about fashion, food and other essentials of life.

Not too long ago she posted a recipe for Low Carb Cauliflower pizza. Say what?!
Yes, she kicked out all the carbs of a regular pizza base and used instead the good ol' cauliflower.

That sounded like heaven to me! One of the things I really, like REALLY miss (being on a low carb diet) is a lovely pizza.

So of course I had to give this recipe a try!
It's sunny in Ireland (believe me that doesn't happen too often) so we paired the pizza with a BBQ.

After cutting the cauliflower into pieces I used a hand blender to blend the cauliflower into tiny tiny pieces. They not supposed to end up in a mash, so be careful.
It's also a good idea to cover the bowl with a tea towel, otherwise you end up with a really messy kitchen. Carrie had that problem, so I was extra careful.

Next you pop the cauliflower pieces into the mircowave for 8 minutes.

For every about 250gr you will need to mix one egg into the cauliflower. Also mix an egg per 250gr into the mixture. Pop in a handful (or two) of  grated cheese into your bowl. Spice it up with salt, mixed herbs and garlic to your taste.

A friend who is lactose intolerant visited, so we had an extra batch going on, where we only put in egg, but no cheese.

Spread the mixture flat onto a baking tray (don't forget the baking parchment) and put it into the oven for about 10-15 minutes (until it shows a little bit of colour). 170 degrees should do the deal.


Now comes the fun part! It's time for the toppings.
We opted for tomato puree, chorizo, salami, mushrooms, dried tomatos and lots of cheese. My friend used buffalo mozzarella and I used two types of cheddar and normal cow milk mozzarella.


Back it goes into the oven for another 10-15 minutes.

When the cheese is melted and a little brown you can get it out of the oven and give it a try.



What can I say? It was a delight and surely a treat!
I really loved it....so good and a real alternative. My BF said it was ok, but not his fav. Well, he is a man after all and loves his junk food ;-))

My friend and me are convinced that we will make it again.

Do you like cold pizza the next morning or day? I do and I must say that it tasted so so close to a normal pizza when I had a slice for lunch today.

Thank you Carrie for bringing this recipe into my life! VERY much appreciated!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment